Crowns and Bridges
Tooth loss may compromise your ability to speak, chew, smile and laugh with confidence and ease. When you are missing one or several teeth, your oral health may also be at risk for decay or gum disease.
Once a tooth is missing from its rightful place, surrounding teeth may shift into an empty space, giving you an irregular bite. Having missing teeth or an irregular bite could cause pain, discomfort and sensitivity if not treated by a dentist.
Daley Street Dental offers restorative dentistry to patients with damaged, weakened or missing teeth. Our highly aesthetic dental crowns and bridges can restore your smile’s appearance and function.
What Is a Dental Crown?
Crowns are small, durable caps that fit over a tooth to provide additional support, protection and strength. A crown can also replace a missing tooth and be placed on a dental bridge or implant. Crowns may improve your oral health by covering and preserving the tooth, potentially eliminating the need for extraction and reducing the risk of developing an infection.
A crown may be suitable for your situation if you need to do any of the following:
- Cap a decayed or damaged tooth
- Strengthen a heavily restored or filled tooth
- Protect a weak or brittle tooth
- Improve the appearance of a discoloured tooth
- Anchor a dental bridge in place
- Secure a cracked tooth
- Protect a root-canaled tooth
- Reinforce a dental implant
What Is a Dental Bridge?
A bridge’s primary function is to replace one or more missing teeth, closing the gap between teeth. A dental bridge is a prosthetic tooth called a pontic held in place by abutment (connecting) teeth on both sides of the gap.
Types of Bridges
There are four main types of dental bridges from which you can choose:
- Traditional – A traditional dental bridge consists of a prosthetic tooth or teeth that are secured by dental crowns. The dental crowns are cemented to the abutment teeth, filling in the gap between your natural teeth.
- Cantilever – Similar to a traditional bridge, a cantilever has a pontic that’s only attached to one abutment tooth. You only need one natural tooth to have a cantilever bridge.
- Maryland – Maryland dental bridges use two natural abutment teeth, and it uses either porcelain or metallic framework bonded to the back of the abutment teeth.
- Implant-supported – Implant-supported bridges use dental implants to secure the bridge instead of crowns or frameworks. For each missing tooth, a dental implant is surgically placed in the jaw, and the implant supports the bridge’s position.
Types of Crowns
All of our crowns are designed to fit your smile and look as natural as possible. We help each patient choose from variously shaded crowns that best suits their hair colour and skin tone, so your new smile seamlessly matches your appearance.
We offer the following types of crowns:
- Zirconia – Made from zirconium dioxide, zirconia crowns are very durable, long-lasting and natural-looking.
- EMAX – EMAX all-ceramic crowns are same-day crowns we create in our dental clinic using CAD/CAM technology. EMAX crowns are made from a single block of top-grade lithium disilicate ceramic used for its durability and translucency.
- CEREC – CEREC crowns are same-day crowns made from a single block of material, making them strong and reliable. Much like EMAX crowns, we use CAD/CAM technology to mill CEREC crowns in our dental clinic.
- Traditional porcelain crowns – We work closely with a trusted dental laboratory that fabricates strong, custom porcelain crowns for our patients.
Benefits of Crowns and Bridges
There are numerous benefits to having crowns or bridges, such as:
- Restore your smile's aesthetics
- Restore your ability to chew properly
- Restore your speech and pronunciation
- Support facial muscles, maintaining the shape of your face
- Re-adjust your bite to distribute chewing forces properly
- Prevent remaining teeth from shifting
To lengthen the lifespan of your restorations, we encourage you to practice good oral habits, such as daily brushing and flossing, eating a balanced diet and getting regular exams and cleans at your Alstonville dental clinic.
Preserve Your Smile with a Crown or Bridge in Alstonville
Daley Street Dental can help you revive your smile with aesthetic crowns and bridges. We invite you to book your consultation so we can discuss your options and find the most ideal treatment for your smile. If you already have a crown or bridge, we encourage you to come in for regular exams and cleans to maintain the appearance and health of your restorations.